Monday, February 5, 2018

I'm thinking about eternity (Bruce Cockburn)

Photo by Amador Loureiro on Unsplash
Start of school hyper brain activity has been back to haunt me for the last few nights.

Happens every time - my brain goes into overload territory with the thousand night-time thoughts that come to me as I'm getting prepared for the students rocking up on the first day of the year. 

Flooding in come lists to prepare, messages to deliver, support for staff, values to promote, culture to embed, emails to send...it's like a giant game of chess - thinking ten moves ahead.

At night, of course, everything is magnified ten times and once the jumble of neurons has begun the process I'm semi- awake and thinking, "I need to write this stuff down somewhere".

Fatal. By this time I'm awake and all the other voices in my head start up - Superbowl memories from the previous day, things I've said to people haunt me, stuff I should have said or done but didn't, all that joins the stuff I need to still do. 

AAARRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Then I get up. 

The sun is shining in the sky, there ain't a cloud in sight. It's stopped rainin', everybody's in a play and don't you know - It's a beautiful new day. 

And you know what? Looks okay. The world survives into another day and I'm thinking about eternity. 

Some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me.

No comments: