Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Questions stimulate thought, provoke inquiry, and spark more questions...the best questions point to and highlight the big ideas (Wiggins and McTighe 2005)


I haven't interviewed for a job for a while (last time was when I got my current job - March, or maybe it was a tad earlier in February, 2013) but I think I'd like these questions next time out. 

They were suggested as a 'new look teacher interview'.

Thought I'd have a (serious) go at answering them:


Do you consider yourself to be a risk taker? (Give an example to back up your answer.)
Yes - definitely. Going to China to lead a school when no teaching jobs opened up in NZ for me in 2012. Bit scary but my wife and I were well up for it! That qualifies right?
If I were your principal and we were setting goals for next year, what would they be?
Innovative approaches to a range of things: pedagogy - UDL/ Project Based Learning, timetabling, further reduction of the industrial model, vertical pastoral care.
What is the last educational book you read? Why that book?
Books? Twitter and blogging is where it's at maan (I wouldn't say 'maan' but I'd think it)
If you could create the ideal school, what would it be like?
An engaging school with innovative timetabling (no silos), flexible learning environments (no industrial model classrooms as we know them), innovative/flexible teachers.
How do you deal with failure? (Your own and that of your students)
As a former second year fifth former (failed School Certificate and bursary) I learned self discipline and resiliency early on. Failure was a good thing and students need to experience it from time to time to become better than they were before. It's not in the falling down. It's in the getting up.   
How will 21st century competencies be developed in your students? (Provide examples both with and without technology)
NZ education has key competencies that model effective development and prepare students for the world they will enter. Inquiry methods in our senior English courses are a case in point.
Have you built a Personal Learning Network (PLN)? Why or why not?
Yes indeedy - Twitter and blogging (you're currently reading one of my five weblogs). Why? It's where it's at maan (thinking it - remember).
In what ways will you challenge your colleagues and the principals thinking?
My blogs/Twitter/Walrus Gumboot provide the means to model what I believe to be important - ideas, personal integrity, connectedness, collaboration, creativity, student curiosity.  
How will you differentiate instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners in your class?
That inquiry method I mentioned, Project Based Learning and UDL.
Take 10 minutes to prepare yourself to lead the interview panel in a conversation about an emerging educational topic of your choosing.
My educational topic? I think I'd choose how we can use the YES from business studies for Project Based Learning in a range of other subjects (including English).

Fun! Yes - I definitely would appreciate these kinds of questions in my next job interview. 

No comments: