Wednesday, June 10, 2015

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace (George Harrison)

How much do I love the guardian?

I love it a lot!

It's often the first thing I read in the morning via my ipad while I'm eating breakfast, and sometimes it's even the last thing I read at night (yes - okay - I'm probably checking the football news then to be fair).

When I lived in England for a while in the noughties I bought a copy of the guardian every day.

It has my kind of stuff - everyday. That idea seems too good to be true. 

A recent edition had a story about how aspirational parents condemn their children to a desperate joyless life. Great title!

Along the way the article mentioned that last year the U.K. government okayed testing for 4 year olds:
The DfE said that the reception "check" would be taken at "the earliest possible point in school", with schools able to choose from a number of approved assessments, which have yet to be announced. It will then be used to measure how much progress pupils have made between the start and end of primary school, with the aim of meeting a progress target to be set.
There were so many alarm bells ringing for me in that short paragraph that I thought I'd been transported into Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon (you know - when all those alarm bells go off in Time)

  • the reception "check"
  • "the earliest possible point"
  • approved assessments
  • yet to be announced
  • progress target

AARRGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Followed by a deep sigh.


Just weighing a pig doesn't fatten it.
This is so Orwellian I thought I had gone back to 1984; this is so Alice In Wonderlandian I thought I'd gone down a rabbit hole.

Someone, somewhere had this bright idea to test FOUR YEAR OLDS and then they shared it with someone else and the idea spread like wildfire until THE GOVERNMENT approved it. 

Poor poor wee mites.

What the hell is going on?

No comments: