Friday, September 19, 2014

Here in my car I feel safest of all, I can lock all my doors, it's the only way to live (Gary Numan)

So, we dodged a bullet a while back with bad weather causing Hekia Parata to abandon plans to visit our school for an election eve photo op.

After a series of gaffes, she has kept a remarkably low profile in NZ politics of late and so the clearly politically motivated visit didn't sit well with me and many of my colleagues. There was nothing we could do about the situation, though. She is the Minister for Education.

On the other handbag, it would have been interesting to hear what she has to say about leadership, specifically female leadership. I heard her speech to a Principal conference a few years ago and the experience was underwhelming so a second chance to form some opinions would have made the ultimately doomed visit interesting.

It has to be said, that as a Minister of Education she has hardly covered herself in glory. 

Apart from the botched increase in class numbers for intermediate schools, the misguided call for performance pay, the politically expedient introduction of charter schools (from an earlier election deal with ACT), the poor handling of the Christchurch schools closures and the introduction of Novopay which was nothing short of disastrous, what have the Romans - doh, has Hekia really done for us.  

I tried to search youtube and NZ TV for an inspirational clip of her addressing educational leadership issues but I came up blank. Plenty of reactionary news spots and reactionary government question time moments instead though.

Post election Hekia news could be something to watch out for.

No comments: